VALPARAISO, Ind. The Illinois State offense (13-15, 3-1 MVC) led the Redbirds to 2 wins Friday afternoon as they beat Valparaiso 14-3 in recreation one and got here again on the sector to knock down the Beacons 8-5 in recreation two of the doubleheader.
BITS BITS (Sport 1)
- Delainey Bryant: 2 for 4, HR, BB, 2 RBI, 4 R
- Kaili Chval: 3 for 4, BB, 4 RBI, 4 Rs
- Emma Olson: 1 for 3, 2B, 2 BB, 3 RBI
- Addison Masch: 3 for 4, 2B, BB, 3 RBI
- Dayna Kennedy: 2 by 3, 2B, BB, 3R
- Hanna Ross (W, 2-6): 7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 4 BB, 7 SO
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
Illinois State took an early lead within the first recreation of the day as a sophomoreAddison Maschhe hit a brace in proper midfield with seniorKaili Chvalon the third, and Chval obtained to attain.
The Redbirds added some insurance coverage runs within the high of the second. Chval picked up his second hit of the day with the bases loaded main in juniorHanna Hicksand agedDayna Kennedy. Fifth 12 months seniorEmma Olsonmade a stroll to reload the bases for the Redbirds and power a pitch change for the Beacons. A excessive leap to second base scarred Bryant from third to sophomoreAbby Knightcollected a sacrificial fly. Masching then belted a single into heart area to choose up one other RBI and hit out. The Redbirds led 5-0 after two full innings.
Illinois State moved into run rule territory within the high of the third as Kennedy singled for heart with two out within the inning. Bryant hit an infield single to 3rd base and a stroll to Chval loaded the bases for Olson. Olson did what he does finest and doubled the hole into left heart area to clear the bases. The Redbirds led 8–0 with at the least two innings left to play.
Within the high of the fifth, Bryant collected his second hit of the sport and his second dwelling run of the season because the second slacker went deep to left area. FreshmanBaila Bognarhe scored on the lengthy ball as he got here in to pinch run for Kennedy who had doubled to get on base within the at-bat forward of Bryant.
With a 10-0 lead within the backside of the fifth, Valparaiso hit three runs on three hits within the inning to maintain the sport alive. A pair of singles by the Beacons offense drove within the three runs and it was a 10-3 recreation straight into the sixth.
Within the ultimate body of the sport, a pair of leadoffs shut in on the seniorBrandi LaFountain, who had come on to play proper area for Hicks, and Kennedy pressured one other pitching change for Valpo. Bryant reached a fielder’s alternative as the primary batter after the circle change, however a throwing error by the Beacons protection allowed LaFountaine to attain and Kennedy and Bryant to stroll up one base. Chval then drove each runners on a single hit arduous within the center to gather his third and fourth RBI of the sport in addition to his third hit. Masching additionally collected his third hit of the sport on an RBI single to left area and Chval scored to make it 14-3 in favor of the Redbirds.
Valparaiso drove a number of runners into the underside half of the seventh, however senior pitcherHanna Rosshe was in a position to get the ultimate out of the sport with a strikeout swing and the Redbirds received recreation one 14-3.
BIRD PIECES (recreation 2)
- Dayna Kennedy: 3 for 4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, 2 R
- Delainey Bryant: 1 for two, HR, 3 BB, 2 RBI, R
- Jayden Standish: 2 for 4, HR, RBI, 2 R
- Emma Olson: 1 for 4, 2B, RBI
- Amanda Fox: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO, 2 HBP
- Hanna Meshnick (W, 3-5): 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 4 SO
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
The second recreation of the day began off a bit rocky for the Redbirds as Valparaiso took an early lead within the backside of the primary on a loaded base hit-by-pitch by senior pitcherAmanda Fox.
Illinois State did not let the Beacons maintain the lead for lengthy because the Redbirds posted a pair runs within the high of the second. AgedChloe Jeffersondecide in his first at bat of the day to start out the inning. A bunt single by Hicks moved Jefferson to second, however a foul pitch by Valpo’s pitcher allowed her to complete third. After the Beacons recorded an out, Bryant hit a stroll to load the bases. Chval added to his RBI complete on the day with a sacrifice fly to heart area and the Redbirds tied the rating at 1-1. With two out within the inning, Olson stepped in and doubled up the hole in left heart as Hicks scored to permit Illinois State to take a 2–1 lead over Valparaiso.
The Redbirds appeared to attain as a pair on this recreation as they added two extra runs within the high of the third. JuniorJayden Standishhe landed his first hit of the day on a single within the center. Hicks reached base safely once more on a fly ball dropped by the Beacons protection and the Redbirds had runners within the corners. Kennedy hit a double to left heart that scored Standish and Hicks to present Illinois State a 4–1 lead.
After three full innings, freshmanHanna Meshnickentered the Illinois State Membership to rescue Fox. The primary two batters he confronted have been out quick, however the Beacons have been in a position to rating two runs on a pair of hits and a stroll to deliver the rating again to 1 at 4-3.
Bryant continued to play hero for Illinois State as he hit his second dwelling run of the day, this one a two-run shot to left area, which prolonged the Redbirds’ result in 6-3 within the high of the sixth .
One other pair of runs for Illinois State got here courtesy of Standish and Kennedy within the high of the seventh as each Redbird batters hit solo dwelling runs, making the rating 8-3 with solely three out left within the recreation.
Meshnick issued a pair of leadoff walks within the backside of the seventh that resulted in Valpo scoring two runs, however the freshman pitcher was lastly in a position to shut down the Beacons on rally to present Illinois State its second win of the day 8-5 on his MVC enemy Valparaíso.
- Illinois State had 14 factors on 13 hits in Sport 1 of the doubleheader towards Valparaiso, that are season highs in each runs scored and hits. Moreover, the Redbirds recorded a season-high complete of 13 RBI within the first recreation. Beforehand, the Redbirds had recorded 10 RBI on two events, 10 runs scored on two events and 12 hits on two events.
- Illinois State now matched its longest hitting streak of the season at 4 video games. The Redbirds have received seven of their final eight video games with the one loss to rival MVC Belmont.
- Not a single Redbird was eradicated within the first recreation of the day, which hadn’t occurred since February 29, 2020 towards Austin Peay.
- Bryant and Chval each scored 4 factors in a 14-3 win over Valparaiso. The final Redbird to attain 4 runs in a single recreation was Emma Olson towards Evansville on March 17, 2019.
- Chval had a profession recreation within the first recreation of the day. He matched his profession in hits with three and set new profession highs in runs scored (4) and RBI (4) for a single recreation. The senior then proceeded to gather her fifth RBI of the day as she hit a sacrifice fly in recreation two towards the Beacons.
- Bryant had a profession three towards Valparaiso in recreation two of the doubleheader. He additionally hit his second and third dwelling runs of the season whereas going deep in every recreation. His first dwelling run of the season got here on February 18, 2023 towards No. 22 Arizona State. His 4 runs scored within the first recreation of the day are additionally a career-high within the single-game class.
- Kennedy was 5 for 7 that day with two doubles, a house run, a stroll, 5 runs scored and three RBI. His three-pointers scored in recreation one of many doubleheader have been a career-high and his three hits in recreation two ties his present career-high within the class. He had three hits on two different events. Kennedy additionally extends his hitting streak to 9 consecutive video games.
- Olson collected two doubles in doubleheader motion on Friday, which brings his profession complete to 47 profession doubles for the senior. She now ranks second in program historical past to Heather Stella (1996-99) in profession doubles and desires two to tie Kara Nelson (2007-11) on high and three to carry the file.
- Masching collected a profession excessive in RBI and hits as he drove in three runs on three hits within the first recreation of the day. Beforehand, two RBI and two hits have been his profession highs within the classes.
- Ross pitched a season-high seven strikeouts in his full-game effort towards the Beacons. His profession excessive is eight strikeouts which got here on April 19, 2022 towards Bradley.
ON THE BRIDGE
Illinois State (13-15, 3-1 MVC) and Valparaiso (3-20, 0-5 MVC) will end the sequence Sunday, March 26 at midday CT on the Valpo Softball Advanced. The sport will probably be streamed on ESPN+ and dwell stats will probably be obtainable.
For updates on Illinois State Softball, observe the Redbirds on Twitter (@RedbirdsSB), Instagram (@redbirdsoftball), and Fb (Illinois State Redbird Softball).
GoRedbirds.com and the Illinois State Redbirds App: Your sources for Illinois State tickets, Weisbecker Athletic Fund items, media, Redbird merchandise, pictures, and extra.